Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Theatre Report #2

Well another week+ has gone by, and I've lots to report on, but not much time to hammer this email out. I'm going to Nassau for a long weekend - hurray.
Here's what I've seen since the last Theatre Report:

La Cage aux Folles -- Grade: C
This one didn't work for me. I remember loving it 20 years ago, but not tonight. It was less engaging, with weaker performances, and (a big AND) it was much less timely. I don't know whether to blame the actors, the director, or the march of time, but I just didn't care very much about the characters this time. The singing of the main characters was as "ordinary" as I've ever seen in a New York City production. The chorus was wonderful, however. The dancing was spectacular. Unfortunately (for me) I'm not a big fan of dance. If you used to love the June Taylor dancers on TV, then by all means go see this show; otherwise pass on it.
Modern Orthodox -- Grade: B-
I was torn on this one. It was very funny, but kind of offensive. Jason Biggs is extraordinarily funny, but it's very low comedy - think of it as the "American Pie" of Orthodox Judaism. The rest of the cast, including Molly Ringwald - ordinarily one of my favorites, was basically bland and invisible.
The Rivals -- Grade: C+
This is a lavish, spectacularly cast performance of Sheridan's slapstick comedy about a man competing with himself for the hand of a fair maiden. Somehow the humor, and even the plot, got lost amongst the costumes, actors, and sets. Rona thinks that they screwed up the timing, and she's quite likely right. Unfortunately, I cannot remember enough details about the show to agree with her. The production at the Pearl Theatre a few months ago was much better.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory -- Grade A
A very nice elementary school play. It's been enough years since I've seen Willy Wonka, and there are enough fond memories there, that I loved this show. I'm really looking to the upcoming Johnny Depp movie.
The House of Bernarda Alba -- Grade: B
Somehow I never read this in college. Everybody that I have discussed it with has already read it in school. (One of you even read it in the original Spanish!) I really liked the show. It paints a very poignant picture of life in rural Spain in the early 20th century. It's a slow paced show, and I liked it, so it must be good. It's at the Pearl Theatre, mentioned above in the comments about "The Rivals".
That's it for this 'issue'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home