Friday, February 11, 2005

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee [C+]

The first half hour was an A. It was very funny. The second half hour was a B, the third was a C, and the final 20 minutes was also a C. It probably averages out to B-, but I'm deducting points for very uncomfortable seats, made even more unpleasant by the two hour (from initial seating until leaving) length with no intermission.

Note: The morning after I wrote the above reviewlet, I read Frank Scheck's review in The Post, and he concluded with the following sentence which says it all: "Under the lighthearted direction of James Lapine, the performers garner the requisite laughs, even if their broad turns sometimes smack more of condescension than affection."

1 Comments:

Blogger -barry said...

Roma Torre, a reviewer on NY1 TV, strongly disagrees with me. She says the show goes "way beyond mere gimmic." That's precisely the opposite of my opinion. I think the show is pretty much completely "mere gimmic."

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home