Saturday, April 09, 2005

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf [B]

Don't trust my review of this show. I was in a funky mood and all stressed out about personal problems when I sat down to watch this "masterpiece." This one just didn't work for me. It's a well written play, of course, and it was very well acted, but it just didn't interest/entertain me. I liked the first act well enough, although I wasn't spellbound. The second act was more of the same and became a little tedious. And by the time the third act rolled around, I was constantly staring at my watch, and thinking mostly about breaking free. (Since I wrote this, I've read some reviews that suggest that this sort of "audience claustrophobia" was what Albee intended - if so, it worked on me.) Even Albee's normally wonderful word choice seemed less wonderful than usual. Overall, the show does have considerable impact, but (for me) it was painful getting that impact.

1 Comments:

Blogger -barry said...

I'm posting this for my cousin Beth:


Though I was not in an particularly glum mood when I encountered "Who's Afraid," my impressions were much like yours, Barry. The play offers an intriguing psychological study of intertwining relationships, the mystery of the vanished baby, insights, I suppose, into long-term marriage strains, and even into faculty life; but the insidious cruelty of the dialogue makes the experience so painful, that I'm not sure I want ever to suffer through it again.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home