Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Spamalot [A]

I knew I was going to love this show, but sometimes those are the very ones that are punch-in-the-gut disappointing. Well not this time. It was blindlingly silly, rediculously nonsensical, and basically one big string of non-sequitors -- just what we've come to expect from Monty Python. It was a bit rough-edged, but I suspect a few more performances under the belt will fix that.

I don't need to say much about the acting. With Tim Curry, David Hyde Pierce, and Hank Azaria, how could it be anything but great.

The thing that really surprised me was the music. I never expected to walk out of the theatre humming a tune!

Another surprise: you don't really need to be familiar with Monty Python to enjoy it - it is pretty self-explanatory. You may wonder why the audience is bursting into applause when a (beloved) character merely walks onto the stage, but you will soon get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home